Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Multiple Personalities of My Three-Year-Old

Lauren has always had a big personality. We are just realizing that there are many big personalities in that little body. Here is a glimpse of just a few.

The Free Spirit
Picture a green grassy hill, under a perfectly crisp blue-sky day. There are daisies scattered around the hillside and there is a girl on top of that hill in a pink dress, arms outstretched and twirling in a circle, singing a random song. Not a care in the world, the girl stops now and then to smell a daisy. When Lauren goes into the Free Spirit mode, it's hard to get her to focus on the task at hand, whatever that may be. I've witnessed it at swim lessons, where she is supposed to be paddling or kicking, but instead is allowing herself to be pulled through the water like a queen on a litter. I am afraid this phase is not going to pass anytime soon, I can remember my mother calling me "Alice in Wonderland" even through high school.


The Fashionista
Lauren is an expert on all things related to fashion. The mainstay of Lauren's wardrobe is a pair of black patent leather shoes, referred to as The Shiny Shoes. These were supposed to be reserved for birthday parties and church but have now become non-stop weekend wear. The shoes dictate that one should be dressed up when wearing them, and so of course, dresses and skirts must accompany the shoes. Top it off with matching leggings, bags, hair bows and barrettes, and you've just put together the most over-dressed tricycle-riding preschooler in town.

There is also a certain way that Lauren wears her socks - they have to be slouched down. I'm not allowed to help her get dressed very often because she "can do it herself", but when I do get to help, I never put them on properly. It is quite a painstaking process, the exact way her socks have to be slouched, and usually results in delaying departure for school by several minutes; it's all worth it though, for a peaceful morning and one big self-satisfied smile when they are just right.


The Artist
Lauren could (and does) spend hours with some colorful paper, scissors, crayons, stickers and glue. Every masterpiece is earmarked for someone, and she keeps excellent track of who gets what. We recently had to make an emergency art supply run on a Wednesday because we were short on construction paper and stickers and she "just couldn't work like this". All of her hard work is paying off: she is staying in the lines very well when coloring and her pictures are becoming more childish and less scribble, usually including suns, happy faces with feet for people and today she even drew a flower without any help. She is definitely happiest doing her artwork!

Yes, Lauren has personality to spare but I love it all - it certainly keeps life interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since Then...

I had completely forgotten about this blog until I went down a rabbit hole of looking for a new career, researching what it takes to be a fr...